How does the CBR theory exam work?
Are you planning to take the CBR exam and do you want to know more about the process? Read the most common questions asked about the CBR car theory exam.
What is the CBR theory exam?
CBR is the organization assigned by the government to test if you are capable of driving. For the driver’s license B (Car) you need to do a theory exam and practical exam.
How to sign up for the CBR exam?
You can sign up via https://www.cbr.nl/en/mijncbr.htm. You log in with your personal DigiD.
For the English Theory Exam, choose exam type: BTH-E.
How much does the theory exam cost?
The CBR exam in English has a fixed cost of 42.50 euros.
What is the process on the day of examination?
It is recommended that you arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of the exam center.
- Register at a self-check-in kiosk by entering your booking number.
- Put your belongings in a lock. You are only allowed to keep your ID and booking number.
- Wait until it is your turn. Follow the instructions on the digital screens.
- Check-in at the ‘start examen’ desk. Here your ID will be checked and receive a table number.
- In the exam room. Sit at the table with your table number. Enter your booking number and then choose ‘Start’. Read and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Take the exam. The CBR exam works the same way as the practice exam.
- End of the exam. You will receive your results immediately. Your results will be also sent to your e-mail where you will be able to see which part of the exam went well and where you made the most mistakes.
What should you bring with you?
Bring a valid identification card and your booking number. You can find this number in the letter or e-mail you received from CBR. You are only allowed to bring your ID to the exam room.
What kind of questions can you expect?
The test is done online on the computer. Therefore, you do not need to bring a pen or paper with you.
The theory exam consists of 3 parts:
This section focuses on anticipating dangerous situations and deciding how to respond to them.
In this part, you have to show that you can recognize and name traffic signs or rules.
Here you must demonstrate your ability to apply rules and make appropriate decisions.
How many mistakes can you make in the exam?
- The hazard perception part consists of 25 questions, of which you must answer 13 or more questions correctly.
- The knowledge part consists of 12 questions, of which you must answer 10 or more questions correctly.
- The insight part consists of 28 questions, of which you must answer 25 or more questions correctly.
How long time does it take?
- The car theory exam takes 30 minutes in total.
- The hazard perception part has a time limit where you get approximately 8 seconds per question. Here you have to be confident and fast!
- There is no time limit for the knowledge and insight parts. It is up to you how you organize yourself. For the knowledge part, you should spend approximately 8 minutes answering questions. For the insight part approximately 16 minutes.
- With extra time, you will have 45 minutes for the theory exam. In this case, you will get extra 5 minutes for the knowledge part and 10 minutes extra for the insight part.
For how long is the result of the theory exam valid after passing?
If you successfully pass your exam, the result is valid for 1.5 years.
What to do if I fail?
If you fail the exam, you will be able to see where you made mistakes and where to pay extra attention when preparing for the re-take exam.
We are happy to help. Contact us for free personal advice on WhatsApp.
How do I apply for a driving license?
- Make an appointment at the municipality where you live. Do not forget to bring with you all the necessary documents. Most of the time, you can find this information on the website of your city.
- Once your documents are processed, you can pick up your driving license from the municipality within five working days.